- This event has passed.
PUC Hearing on Latest Xcel Rate Case
May 31 @ 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm
Xcel is asking for a net increase in annual revenue ofabout $262 million or about 8% for residential customers–-a revenue increase that would, if granted, continue year after year after year!!
More information in the Denver Post story:
Please attend the meeting and tell your own story and perhaps include some of the following talking points.
- Enough is Enough:With $727 million in “after-tax net income” in Colorado in 2022, Xcel most definitely DOES NOT need yet another rate increase!!
- Stop Abusing Colorado Customers: Xcel is working hard to pad the pockets of its shareholders at the expense of its Colorado customers.
- Take the “Credit Card” Away: Xcel is planning on over $11 billion (!!!!!) in capital expenditures Colorado in the next five years (see the PPT slide at the bottom of this thread.) –and Xcel assumes that their Colorado customers will pay for all of that–plus giving Xcel a profit on these capital expenditures–THE PUC NEEDS TO MAKE IT VERY CLEAR THAT COLORADO CUSTOMERS WILL NOT STAND FOR THESE PROFLIGATE AND IMPRUDENT EXPENDITURES ON “OUR CREDIT CARD!!”
- Look to Cost-Effective Demand Management Solutions: There are many reasons to believe that investments in managing and shaping demand through energy efficiency, demand response and management of distributed solar and storage and EV charging and the creation of what are referred to Virtual Power Plants will be more cost-effective ways to ensure system reliability, but Xcel keeps avoiding serious analysis and commitments of these lower cost alternatives. The PUC must get very serious with Xcel and make it clear that it is long past time to consider these cost-effective alternatives to pouring money into its aging 20th century system.
- Stop Making Customers Pay for Xcel’s Attorneys and Witnesses: Xcel keeps filing rate cases and making their customers pay for all their legal and expert witnesses–this MUST STOP!
- No More Complicity in Coal Burning: Xcel keeps spending money on its coal plants (e.g. $34 million in capital expenditures on the Pueblo Unit 3 (“PU3”) coal plant (aka “Comanche 3”) in the next two years. The PU3 coal plant should be retired–not propped up!) When the PUC makes us pay for these imprudent expenditures, it makes all of Colorado’s customers complicit in intensifying the climate crisis. Our carbon is making people all over the country and world miserable–We don’t want to be complicit any longer–especially so Xcel can keep padding its already outrageous profits!!
- Follow the Utility Consumer Advocate Recommendation: The Utility Consumer Advocate suggests a $26.6 million rate reduction. That should be the starting point for the PUC and then take out all other imprudent expenditures–like the ones for the Pueblo Unit 3 coal plant.
Register at link below in blue.
PUC: Public Comment HRG: 22AL-0530E Public Service Company – AL 1906 – Tariff 8 – Phase I, C3
When: Wed, May 31, 4pm – 6pm
Where: Hearing Room A, DORA – Hearing Room A (map)
Register in advance for this meeting:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.